The 2018 Better Newspapers Contest (BNC) and Excellence in Advertising Contest
The 2018 contest will open on May 1 at 7 a.m. and remain open until midnight June 1.
Please download the rules packet for instruction on how to enter. The contest period (publication dates of entries) is May 1, 2017 to April 30, 2018.
ANA’s Association code (needed to create an account in the contest system) was emailed to all publishers, editors and ad managers. The code is case sensitive.
If you have misplaced or lost the code, call Julie O’Keefe, (602) 261-7655, xt.110.
Please make a special note of a few new items this year
that you should be aware of:
- NO MORE Mail-in entries. ANA has joined in with the majority of associations that are running their contests as an
e-operation only. The ACES contest system can accept entry files up to 100MB.
Entries larger than 100MB should be uploaded to Google Drive, Drop Box, issuu.com, etc., or your own hosting site, BUT, all URLs must remain active and accessible until
- SPECIAL OFFER:
All early bird entrants will be entered into a drawing and one lucky winner will recieve ONE FREE convention registration. This offer good for only one person per newspaper. Winner will be announced May 16 in the This Week @ ANA newsletter.
- NEW PRICING FEES:
– $9* / Early Bird – May 1 thru 15, 2018. *Good only on Advertising categories:1-12; and BNC categories 10-29.
– $10 / Regular Price – May 16 to close of entries on June 1, 2018, at midnight.
– $12 / LATE Fee – LATE ENTRIES WILL BE ACCEPTED BY APPROVAL ONLY AND LATE FEES WILL APPLY.
- The 2018 contest will now have two separate divisions:
– Professional Newspapers
– College Newspapers/News Organizations
Colleges will still adhere to all the same categories*, rules and pricing structure as set up for the professional newspapers. The General Excellence points they earn will be in their Division 6 only. This is the same rule as for all other divisions as well: no paper competes outside its division.
*Colleges are excluded from competing in Story of the Year, Journalist of the Year and Photographer of the Year.
- TWO NEW CATEGORIES are in the BNC NEWSPAPERS division. We have improved the special sections and newspaper supplement or magazine competition. Those entries will now be two separate categories:
BNC #7 – Special Sections
BNC #8 – Newspaper Supplement or Magazine
- NEW CATEGORY in the BNC INDIVIDUAL division. We added another digital category to meet the changes of today’s newsroom:
BNC #22 – Online Coverage of Breaking News
With this Rules Packet you can start – if you haven’t already – sorting through your newsroom and advertising files for contest entries and join in on the competition!
And remember… it’s never too early to plan ahead to attend the Annual Meeting and Fall Convention on October 6. Held again at the convenient location of the Wild Horse Pass Hotel & Casino.
The Arizona Newspapers Association supports
excellence in journalism in all its many forms.
View the archived press releases for the winners in the
Better Newspapers Contest and Excellence in Advertising competitions.
We also recognize individuals that have fought for freedom of information with the Zenger Award and FOI awards, and celebrate those who have made a lasting impression in Arizona journalism with our Hall of Fame awards.
Whether you entered the competitions, came to training sessions or just attended the award ceremonies, we sincerely appreciate that you help to make the contests and our annual conventions a success.
ANA Flickr Albums
Visit the ANA flickr page to see photos from our conventions and other ANA sponsored events.
Select Flickr’s gallery icon
for the best viewing experience