Assistant Editor – Rio Rancho, NM
We’re in search of a wordsmith who loves community journalism and wants to be an integral part of a hard-working and dedicated newsroom team.
If you have 3+ years of experience working in a newspaper setting, have a thorough knowledge of AP style, and enjoy providing helpful guidance and feedback to your colleagues, this may be the perfect position for you.
If you’re also digitally savvy, have an eye for page design, a passion for penning locally oriented editorials, then we definitely want to talk with you.
Summary of Preferred Qualifications:
- Mastery of AP style & English, related to news & feature writing.
- Very Strong spelling and grammar skills.
- Capable of writing compelling, accurate headlines.
- Basic web posting and social media experience.
- Expertise in Page Layout & Design.
- Experience & understanding of Adobe InDesign, Photoshop.
- Detail oriented & committed to accuracy.
- Maintain a professional, courteous and cooperative attitude.
- Ability to type at least 40 wpm.
- Ability to work on deadline.
The Rio Rancho Observer is a weekly newspaper serving southern Sandoval County, including Rio Rancho – the third largest, and fastest growing, city in the state.
Our print and online editions have a combined reach that is without peer in our market. Our editorial mission is to provide the news and other information that allows residents to be informed and engage in civic matters. We also aspire to be the hub of community interaction and dialogue – in print, online and through social media. Indeed we are passionate about this.
The Observer is one of two newspapers published by RR Community Publishing, LLC – and is part of the Albuquerque Journal’s family of community newspapers. Our organization is family-owned, with a deep commitment to the communities we serve.
If you think you’d be a good fit for this challenging and rewarding role, please send a cover letter, resume and several work samples to: email@example.com. No phone calls please.
Pre-employment drug screen and background check required. RR Community Publishing LLC is an equal opportunity employer.